Sunday, August 01, 2010

Going to School Does Not Make You a Dog Trainer

     It's been 2 years since I graduated from the Master Trainer Course at National K-9 School for Dog Trainers. And despite that fact, every word that any of my instructors, Scott, Bob, and Chris, ever uttered during those classroom hours still remains highlighted in my brain. I use the knowledge I gained in that time and before each and every day.

     However, it has been the past two years that has REALLY taught me what dog training is all about. It's about training dogs, yes, but it's about so much more. There are MANY joys and frustrations that come along w/ the career of dog training that cannot be taught in a classroom. So many lessons had yet to be taught to me by my future clients, both canine and human alike.

     I've created some really great friendships along the way.

     Going to school does not make you a dog trainer... the lessons the dogs (and their people) you work with do. And every dog I have ever worked w/ has taught me another lesson. I can only hope they all continue to take me back to school. They day I stop learning, whatever the subject, is the day I wish to be no more.


This morning I started working w/ Santos to take Skyler for a walk. Who said training dogs never came in handy? ... Has anyone ever heard of a service dog for a dog?

1 comment:

Rhiannon said...

This is wonderful that you train dogs. I've trained the ones I have had in my life in the past...somehow I seem to be good with animals..they just seem to "know" how much I love animals..I've always had dogs in my life....but things have changed in the past ten years...and I have a black long haired cat since she was 6 weeks old now 8 years old. She's the only family that I have these days. Love her so much..and it is weird but I have trained her like a dog and she had a pretty large vocabulary for a cat! Funny huh?..:o)

I love the photos of a large dog walking another "little dog....priceless photos.

Thank you for dropping by my blog recently and I hope you'll drop by again soon.

Love and Blessings,

Rhiannon