Friday, May 25, 2012

Team Fox Singlet


My Team Fox singlet for the Missoula 1/2 Marathon came in today!!




I started out with a simple goal, to raise $250 as a member of Team Fox for Parkinson’s research. With the help of Donor Anonymous, I not only shattered my initial goal in two weeks, but I set my sights higher. Yesterday I raised my goal from $250 to $500. That’s not enough either. I need more. I feel like if we (I say we because I didn’t do this on my own) can raise over $250 in less than two weeks, then why can’t I raise $1,000 before the Missoula ½ Marathon, which is still thirty some days away?

How do I go about raising those kinds of funds? How do I inspire people to open up their hearts and their wallets to Parkinson’s disease? … … …

Close your eyes for a moment. Just kidding! How are you supposed to read with your eyes closed? Just imagine picking up the phone one day and hearing your dad’s voice on the other end. You live over 2,000 miles away from each other so weekly phone calls are something you’ve not only become accustomed to but look forward to. Tonight however, there is something different in your dad’s voice. When you ask, he tells you that the tremors in his limbs he’s been experiencing have been diagnosed as Parkinson’s disease. Now imagine your world stopping for a moment. When you hang up the phone you can’t stop the tears from coming.

That’s where my story began. When the tears dried I begin a mad search to find out as much about this disease as I possibly could. In my search to learn as much about Parkinson’s disease as I could I discovered Team Fox and the Michael J. Fox Foundation (MJFF) for Parkinson’s Research.  Team Fox is The Michael J. Fox Foundation’s grassroots community fundraising program. All funds raised through Team Fox go directly to MJFF to advance its mission to accelerate the delivery of life-changing treatments, and ultimately a cure, to people with Parkinson’s disease.  Sergey Brin and Anne Wojcicki have challenged Team Fox members new to the program as of January 2012 to raise $50 million by December 31, 2012, which they will match dollar for dollar.

Even if you’re unable to donate (believe me, I’ve spent my months eating ramen noodles) please share my story, send me a note or suggest music to help me on my runs. Xoxo.

Please visit my page at: http://www2.michaeljfox.org/site/TR/TeamFox/TeamFox?px=1010384&pg=personal&fr_id=1053

Or visit this site to learn more about the Brin Wojcicki Challenge:
http://blog.michaeljfox.org/2011/05/the-brin-wojcicki-challenge-and-team-fox/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you Sweetheart.
Daddio

Anonymous said...

Holly, Thank you so much for raising this money in support of Parkinson's research. I don't know how to thank all the people who have donated towards your goal. You and all the donors have inspired me to do something special myself. i have not run since I graduated H.S. in 1971. I started a diet in Feb and lost 30+ lbs. I started running 2 mo ago. Today I ran 2 miles with out stopping. In October I want to do the 5K race at PumpkinFest! Maybe Parkinson's will be cureable in my lifetime thanks to the MJFF and people like all of you.
Love you, Daddio aka: Chuck Groff