Saturday, January 24, 2015

Surviving the Darkness

Alaska - home of the midnight sun - is also home to long dark nights. While the northernmost points in Alaska miss out on the sun for nearly 70 days, we here in Anchorage are lucky to get a small, but daily glimpse of the warming star. On the Winter Solstice Anchorage got a whopping 5 hours and 28 minutes of daylight.

On these darkest of days I appreciate that little amount of sunlight oh so much. While I grumbled at the never ending daylight when I was wide awake at 3 am this past summer, I don't think I'll disapprove of it as much this upcoming one (We'll probably finally invest in those blackout curtains tho).

In order to not go mad due to the lack of sunlight in the winter, I began planning a multitude of tasks to keep me occupied over the course of the fall. New recipes, crafts, & decorating ideas began filling an online folder that would make any Pinterest board jealous.

So for those of you that have been asking if the darkness has been terrible, depressing and overall overwhelming, my answer is simply this - only if you let it be. 

No comments: