Thursday, July 03, 2014

Bucket

Brian & I are insanely similar in so many ways but there are some major contrasts about us as well. One would be our taste in food. We are almost guaranteed to not enjoy the same restaurant to the same level as the other person. Movies would be another since I hate scary movies and this, of course, would be Brian's favorite genre.

In our family I am most certainly a dog person but my husband is a cat person.

I have never been the biggest fan of the feline persuasion but Brian has been wanting a cat for a while now. I asked him to wait until Bosco & I got to Alaska before getting one. Now that we're finally settling into our new home, we began casually searching for the perfect kitten to add to our family.

Tonight, after a short trip to the local Animal Control our newest addition to the family walked into our lives and our hearts.

Introducing Bucket:
**The story behind Bucket's name is this: when my oldest niece was about 3 years old, she was (and still is) obsessed with cats. Not being able to have a real cat herself, she toted around a backpack filled with beanie baby cats instead. All of these cats came with their own names from the manufacturer, but Emily had renamed them all. One day (& I swear I will never forget this day) I asked Emily to tell me her cats names (I had just learned at this point that they all had their own names, and Emily is famous in our family for her unique naming abilities, but that's another story). There was Lillie the white cat, Brownie the dark brown cat, Cousin the light brown cat, Cally the calico, Twin the other, identical calico, Stripey the tiger striped cat and so forth. She was going down the line with seemingly normal cat names when all of the sudden she pulled one of the cats from her bag and proudly announced that it's name was Bucket. I lost it. I have no idea why this struck me as being SO darn funny, but I was crying I was laughing so hard. All the kitties had 'normal' cat names, but this one was Bucket? So after that day, I've always said that if I ever got a cat their name would HAVE to be Bucket. Thankfully, I have a husband with a good sense of humor who let me name our first cat this unusual moniker.







1 comment:

Karina said...

I'm still so in love with Bucket. I'm literally not going to eat next month so I can come visit. Haha!