Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Belaying

Work is stressful, but I love it. On average I've been putting in anywhere from 50-60 hours a week between training and the store. So yea, I've been keeping busy. Since I'm not a student at the U any longer, I also haven't been getting much exercise (other than all the running around and hiking I do). I'd been thinking about getting a gym membership somewhere in town but just havn't had the time to go do it yet. But last night I think I found an answer to my problems.

My roommate Cameron is an avid climber. Since he & Christopher are competing in the Grizzly Man race this spring, they've both taken up climbing a few nights a week. I've been wanting to do it for ages, but with absolutely no knowledge of climbing, I never got around to ever trying. After the guys giving me a quick rundown of the knots, safety procedures, techniques, etc. I took a test & am now belay certified. We spent the rest of the night taking turns spidering up the wall, which was a blast & a great workout for the entire body if you ever want a fun way to build some muscle. I'll try to take a camera next time I go. Although we have to stick to the wall inside the rec center for now, as soon as some snow melts we have a tripped planned on some real cliffs in another month or so.

I think I've found a new addiction.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

That's to awesome. One of the guys I go hiking with wants me to start climbing with him. The problem is you have to drive a couple hours to get to any rocks. I can't stand Ohio.